Moving out of your home can be an exciting time, but it’s also stressful if you don’t plan for it. Whether you’re moving for a new job, retirement, or a new adventure, these seven tips will help make your move as stress-free as it can be. From preparing and packing to staying organized during the move, we’ve got you covered. So read on and get ready to tackle your move with ease!
Before anything else, make a checklist!
Planning ahead will help you avoid a day-of scramble and keep your organization in check. A general timeline is essential when putting together the pieces to create this new life for yourself, or hiring someone else who can do it for you is cheaper than what’s inside those boxes.
Two months before your move, get estimates from a few movers and hire one. Declutter and edit your home to make sure you have all of the necessary paperwork for a smooth transition in addition to starting on your moving file.
One month before, pre-order packing. Measure your new space. Prepare the new space (painting, furnishings). Arrange work time off for your move. Change your address at usps.com. Set aside unused goods. Start saving valuables (jewelry, passports) for personal transport.
One week before, pack all remaining items and carefully label by room. Do a deep clean of the new space if necessary – then confirm with movers that everything is in order.
The night before, pack a box of the items you’ll need for your first meal (cups and plates). Put together an overnight bag with some changes in clothes or toiletries. Get plenty of sleep to make sure that when it’s time get ready early tomorrow morning, you’ll have the energy to tackle your new beginning.
On the day of your move, do a final run-through to make sure there are no problems at both the old home and the new place. Inspect each room for damages before you start moving furniture in order not to damage anything or anyone during this stressful time.
7 Tips to Make Your Move Stressful-Free
Color Code Each Room
- Designate a color for each room in your new home and put matching stickers on the boxes. In order to make moving easier, mark which rooms are being used by what colored stickers can be seen from afar.
Assign a box for each similar items
- It is important to keep lamps, pictures, and other items together in the same box when moving. This will make it easier for you during your next move.
Keep your valuables in a secure and safe box
- Keep your most valuable possessions with you when moving. Valuable items like jewelry and family heirlooms should be insured in case they are lost or damaged during the move, so check what coverage is provided by the homeowner’s insurance before starting packing! Keep important papers with you as well.
Think about what you can’t move
- Things that removal teams won’t transport include hazardous materials, plants with soil in them, and tins of paint. Pots or chemicals can often be donated to a charity so don’t feel like everything has got to go down the drain.
Organize your paperwork
- This may seem like an overreacting measure, but it is important to keep your most valuable documents in one place. Store them safely so you don’t lose any of these precious pieces if something happens.
- You should create electronic copies of important documents by scanning and saving them onto a USB, or in cloud storage such as Dropbox. This will allow you to access your information at any time from anywhere no matter what happens.
Optimize space for each box
- Keep your box contents organized by placing heavier items at the bottom and lighter ones on top. This way, you won’t have trouble carrying it when full! This will keep your load manageable so that you can easily lift it into storage or onto the truck without strain.
- You can’t go it alone when you move. Enlist the help of family and friends if possible, but be realistic about what they are capable of doing so that there will not be any frustration on both sides; also reward anyone who joins in this endeavor with a meal or two!
Donate unnecessary items
Now that you’ve got all of your clutter out on the curb, make sure to donate any large or unnecessary items. Items that don’t fit into your home or aren’t needed anymore are a great way to make room for new items. A professional organizer can help you decide what’s best suited in terms of size, shape, and style so it doesn’t take up valuable space while also making the most out of every last bit!
Consider donating old furniture and appliances to local charities. Many of them will pick up these items for free, but you might find yourself without a place to sit down temporarily while waiting on the donation! Hiring a moving company with experience in packing up large residential moves is one way that ensures your household goods get where they need to go – fast.
When in Doubt, Hire Professional Movers
When you hire professional movers, the time spent on moving is all yours, making your move as stress-free as possible! You won’t have to ask anyone for help and that’s why it will save you money in the long run. The moving industry is a competitive one and with the growing demand for professional movers, it has never been easier to find an affordable price. Make sure you explore your options before making any decisions so that when you do decide on hiring someone, there will be no regret in giving them all of this information!
Order Pizza and Have Refreshments Ready
The day before, call up a pizza place and set it so they deliver lunchtime the next. Make sure you have enough bottled water for those who will be coming over as well – your movers or any other helping hands that might need some hydration! Don’t forget about thanking everyone involved in beer too; we’re going through quite an adventure here together after all.
Moving can be a very stressful event, but it doesn’t have to be. With careful planning and organization, you can make your move go smoothly and stress-free. We hope our tips have given you some ideas on how to get started. If you need any more help or advice, don’t hesitate to contact us today! Our team of experts would be happy to assist you in making your move as easy as possible.
Moving can be a stressful time, but it doesn’t have to be. These seven tips will help you organize and execute your move so that you can focus on the important things—like getting settled into your new home. If at any point during your move you feel overwhelmed or need some extra help, don’t hesitate to contact us! Our team of experienced movers is here to take some of the stress off your shoulders. What are you waiting for? Get started today!
Need help moving your stuff? Contact Us!
Boston Best Rate Movers
Boston Best Rate Movers is a family-owned and operated local moving company that provides professional residential and commercial services to the Greater Boston area. We are committed to providing you with unsurpassed customer service, affordable rates, outstanding flexibility, and dependable results. Our goal is for every move we make for our customers to be a smooth process from start to finish.